Wicked In Manila!

Wicked In Manila!

Last Saturday, my family and I went to see Wicked, The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz, at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.  This was our second time to see this musical (the first time was in Singapore in January 2012) but when we found out that this was going to be staged here in Manila, we all wanted to watch it again!  We booked our tickets as early as August 2013 and it was worth the wait!

You see, we are such a musical family.  We try to catch productions, local and international, as much as we can, and every year, we find ourselves making a trip to the theatre at least once. Aside from the pleasure, the entertainment, the experience of being transported to another kingdom or era, we find it a good time to unwind, to “sit back, relax and enjoy the show”.   Musicals keep all of us engaged when we have our family conversations and listening to the soundtracks in the car is enough to keep us in high spirits while on the road.

Arielle is such a “theatre gal” (She came up with that name herself a few years back).  She really is serious when it comes to stage performances and Broadway! She reads about them, researches, and does her best to find as much info as she can about a production, and learns the songs on her own.  And Kayla just loves bonding with her Ate (big sister) when they talk about the plot, their favorite characters, when they sing songs at the top of their lungs, and even attempt to play a piece or two on the piano or guitar, just by ear.   That’s why Mike and I think that theatre tickets are worth spending on.

Arielle with Suzie Mathers (as Glinda)

Kayla with Glinda
Suzie Mathers actually “liked” our photos with her
on Instagram!

Kayla and Arielle with Ali Calder
(as Elphaba)

Arielle with Steve Danielsen (Fiyero)

Arielle with Steve Danielen
(as Fiyero)

Autograph of Suzie Mathers (Glinda)

Autograph of Ali Calder (Elphaba)

Autograph of Steve Danielsen (Fiyero)

Wicked has become a personal favorite of mine because of the characters, Glinda and Elphaba, and all of the songs made me love the musical from beginning till the end (the whole 3 hours of it)!  It really is one “wicked” show to watch!

I will not attempt to make a review  (I am not a professional theatre critic, but if you’d like to read one, click here and another one here by Ms. Lea Salonga) or do a synopsis (link already shared at the start). What I’d like to do instead is share with you the lessons I personally have learned from the musical:

1.  Don’t judge a person by his or her appearance.

2.  It is OKAY to be different.

3.  It’s true that first impressions count, but they shouldn’t be the last impression.

4.  Be one of those people who care for and love those who are different and treated differently.

5.  People deserve respect and love, no matter how different he or she is.

6.  There is good in every person.  Just as there is also wickedness in human nature.

7.  Do not push people too hard.  Don’t be a bully.  Don’t push them to their limits.  You can be the reason why they change their character and become a bad person.

8.  Totally different persons can actually get along.  It can be fun to have a friend who is your total opposite.

9.  Do not be a phony!  Be true to yourself!

10.  Every person can be some kind of wonderful.

11.  Stand up for what you truly believe in.

12.  Speak up your mind.

13.  Have courage! Believe and fight for what’s in your heart! Take that leap! Defy gravity!

14.  Take challenges and do hard things.

15.  Go for your dreams.  They really can come true!  Just make sure that you do not lose sight of what really matters.

16.  People can do crazy things in the name of love. And there are people who do have the heart to love those who are considered outcast and different.

17.  Sometimes, you do have to let go of the person you love.

17.  You reap what you sow.  Do evil and you will pay the price.

18.  Sometimes, we just have to dance through life.

19.  People do come into our lives for reason.

20.  And may the reason that we come into and touch another person’s life is to change the other for the better, for good. (I just love that song!)

May the magic of “Wicked” touch you with these not-to-be ignored life lessons!

Have you seen “Wicked”?  What play or musical have you seen last?  Share your insights with me!

If you haven’t gone to the theatre lately, then I highly encourage you to do so!  The experience is rich and stimulating…culturally, artistically, visually, auditorily, linguistically, musically!  Such a great learning venue for the kids, bonding time for the whole family, and a conversation piece that could extend even after the show has ended (way, way after the show has ended ;)Now that to me, is real learning.

* On the blogging side of this post, may I just add that as I was finalizing this article, the closing was inspired by Make It Blissful.com’s Tell Stories On Your Blog :)

* Also, this post is a participating blog in Let’s Homeschool High School’s Blog Hop. Just click the link below if you want to join and link up with rest or if you simply want to read the other posts!

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…

Share and Enjoy!

12 Comments

1. Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM | Permalink

Ahhhhhh I can’t wait to watch Wicked!!!! :D
    Patty | MrsC recently posted…28 Grateful Days: Feeling the Birthday VibeMy Profile

• racquel
      Posted February 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM | Permalink

When are you watching? Feeling excited for you! Are you watching with Tristan? It’s 3 hours long ha. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the SHOW!

• Posted February 4, 2014 at 6:00 PM | Permalink

Nope, just me and MrC :) Birthday gift nya to me. Omigoooosh! So excited!

• racquel
          Posted February 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM | Permalink

Good choice for a date night :) Hope you’re watching it at night?

2. Daniel Kaity
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM | Permalink

Nice!(: I’m excited to watch it this friday.

• racquel
      Posted February 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM | Permalink

Thanks! Enjoy the show! :)

3. Posted February 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM | Permalink

I loved watching Wicked. Like you, we love watching musicals. Well… my sisters and I anyway. I don’t get to watch as much as I used to, especially when we started having kids but I hope that my kids will eventually learn to love watching musicals when they’re a little older. My 4 year old has actually been bugging me that she wants to watch the green witch and the princess whenever she goes through the Wicked program. Still thinking about it though, I’m not sure if she can sit through it.

• racquel
      Posted February 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM | Permalink

Dette, we try to watch as often as we can. Arielle kasi loves performing on stage and was able to join one professional production of Repertory (A Christmas Carol). She’s gone to auditions in the past pero not lucky to be part of the final cast. But she keeps on telling me that she’s really misses theatre. With Kayla naman, I can see that she has the talent and can perform also, pero she’s a bit shy. She was Pinocchio before in their summer workshop :)

4. Posted February 9, 2014 at 6:51 AM | Permalink

I have seen Wicked twice and loved it both times. My family also loves live theater. We are fortunate to have a quality community theater and also live close enough to Dallas to see the Broadway shows. My 2 youngest children have acted in several of our local shows. Last fall they both had parts in Tarzan, the musical. My son played Terk, which involved flying equipment. So fun! My daughter also got to ‘fly’ as the leopard. I will say it is little unsettling the first time your son asks you to buy make-up for him!
    KarenTrina recently posted…Blogger AwardMy Profile

• racquel
      Posted February 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM | Permalink

Hi! Thanks for sharing your story…how inspiring! :) So you’re fr Texas. I have two sisters-in-law and a schoolmate in Texas.

5. Linda
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

I came to your blog by way of the Let’s Homeschool High school blog hop!

I had not hear of Wicked before, but I love the lessons you shared. Thanks, so much!

The last live performance we saw was Tosca. My daughter’s comment was, “We could sooo do this again!” Something about seeing it live instead of just reading it really makes it worth it. Our next live performance to see will be Romeo and Juliet.

Thanks so much for sharing the lessons!

• racquel
      Posted February 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM | Permalink

Hi! Where are you from? Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment :) Wicked is a global hit musical which has become a personal favorite! The lessons and the music are just great!